Sunday, January 27, 2008

FAMILY VALUES (RCJ Sept. 28, 2003)

Marcy Kopp's letter (Sept. 18) attacking and criticising my mother for supporting and loving her gay son revived memories of other situations I've encountered working with Gay and Lesbian youth.

I knew a young woman whose parents discovered she was Lesbian. They purchased a cemetery plot, erected a tombstone and declared her to be dead.

The countless young people I've encountered who've been disowned and kicked out because they were discovered. the fear of or actual rejection by family has driven many to suicide. Negative self-image caused by ignorance, isolation, fear and rejection still drives many to self-destructive behavior.

Are these the kind of family values Ms. Kopp advocates? Enough is enough!

As for my mother, she is my friend and my hero. She's one of the finest Christians I've known. Should Ms. Kopp and her kind wish some guidance on true Christian and family love, I'd be happy to introduce them to Mom and the other loving parents of our local PFLAG chapter.

PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) is family values. Parents loving their children and children loving their parents are Christian values! So No Child Walks Alone!

No comments: